If you happen to’ve up to date your laptop from Home windows 10 to Home windows 11, it’s possible you’ll discover that your taskbar isn’t fairly as configurable — and maybe not fairly as helpful — because it was earlier than. For instance, the previous, acquainted Begin menu with its configurable Stay Tiles is now gone. The search field is not inside the taskbar however is accessed by first clicking on the Begin menu — an additional step. (Though the truth that Cortana is not routinely a part of that search field might be thought of, by many not less than, as a plus.)
One other factor: the taskbar is now completely affixed to the underside of the display — so in case you have been extra snug having it on high of the display, or on both aspect, you’re out of luck.
As you may think, Home windows customers are already posting fixes for not less than a few of these points — so long as you’re snug tweaking your Home windows Registry. For instance, there’s one which purportedly enables you to move the taskbar to the top of the screen, and one other that permits you to change the size of the taskbar.
It’s attainable that Microsoft will carry again a few of these skills in future updates of the brand new OS. For now, let’s consider how one can modify the present Home windows 11 taskbar.
Pin an app to the taskbar
Pinning an app to the taskbar on the backside could be a little — properly, bizarre. There are a number of methods to deal with it:
- If an app is operating, its icon will seem within the taskbar with a line beneath to point that it’s lively. If you would like its icon to stay within the taskbar even after you’ve closed it, then right-click on the icon and choose “Pin to taskbar.”
- If an app isn’t operating, however its icon is in your desktop, you may pin it to the Taskbar as properly. Proper-click on the desktop icon and click on on “Show more options.” An extended menu will open up; about two-thirds down, you’ll see “Pin to taskbar.”
- You too can click on on the Begin icon, choose the “All apps” button, after which right-click on the app you need. If you happen to don’t see “Pin to taskbar” within the menu that pops up, then choose “More” and also you’ll see “Pin to taskbar.”
Take away an app from the taskbar
Most apps are easy to take away: simply right-click on the icon and choose “Unpin from taskbar.”
Just a few of the icons take slightly extra effort to take away. The Begin menu icon is, as may be anticipated, unremovable. However there are 4 different icons that may’t be eliminated however might be hidden. The simplest approach to do this is:
- Proper click on on the taskbar.
- Choose “Taskbar settings.” (You too can get there by going to “Settings” > “Personalization” > “Taskbar.”)
- Toggle off any of the 4 icons — “Search,” “Task view,” “Widgets,” or “Chat” — that you just wish to cover.
Transfer your icons to the left
These of us who having been utilizing Home windows 10 (or 7 or earlier iterations) are used to accessing the Begin menu from the decrease left-hand nook of the display. In case your muscle reminiscence retains your hand drifting to that nook, you may transfer the middle app icons so they’re to your left as an alternative:
- Proper-click on the taskbar and click on on “Taskbar settings.”
- Choose “Taskbar behaviors.”
- Search for “Taskbar alignment” and click on on the button on the proper the place it says “Center.” Choose “Left” as an alternative.
- Shut the settings window, and also you’ll see that the app icons within the taskbar have moved to the left, with the Begin menu icon within the nook.
By the way, the “Taskbar behaviors” part of the settings enables you to do greater than transfer your icons to the left. It additionally enables you to routinely cover the taskbar (one thing that’s been a taskbar conduct for a really very long time); present a badge on taskbar apps to let you understand if, say, you will have any unread messages; deal with how the taskbar works on a number of shows; and present a clear desktop by clicking on the far proper nook of the taskbar.
Taskbar nook icons and overflow
Whereas the taskbar nook icons and the overflow window aren’t new, I by no means truly knew what they have been referred to as earlier than. To let you know the reality, once I first noticed the phrase “Taskbar corner overflow,” I pictured a bunch of app icons flowing out of the show like Niagara Falls. Seems the nook icons are the icons in the proper nook of the taskbar — those that present the time and date, your battery standing, your quantity stage, and your Wi-Fi standing, amongst different issues. The overflow is the little pop-up menu that seems when you choose the arrow to the left of these nook icons.
For probably the most half, the icons within the overflow window are supposed to notify you when there’s something that must be completed — messages which have arrived or an replace that’s wanted. That is additionally helpful for apps, like Discord, that are likely to run within the background; you may shut them down simply from the overflow by right-clicking on the icon and on the lookout for the “quit” choice.
Whereas a lot of the nook icons that include Home windows are everlasting, some — particularly, the Pen menu, the Contact keyboard, and the Digital touchpad — might be hidden. They are often discovered on the identical taskbar settings menu that allow us transfer the icons to the left; simply click on on “Taskbar corner icons” and toggle off those you don’t wish to see.