In case you’ve simply upgraded — or are planning to improve — to Apple’s new iPhone 13, congratulations! You’re going to wish to check out your snazzy new cellphone as quickly as you open that field. However first, it’s worthwhile to get all the apps and information out of your outdated iPhone onto your new one.
It’s really very straightforward — actually, in case you haven’t upgraded for some time, you’ll discover it simpler than ever. The method of transferring your information used to require restoring it from an iCloud or iTunes backup. Now, you don’t must trouble with that backup (though backing up your stuff is at all times a good suggestion). You possibly can transfer your apps, information, and ID over to the brand new cellphone immediately with what Apple calls iPhone migration. (Nonetheless, in case you favor, you’ll be able to nonetheless restore it from iCloud.)
Right here’s how.
First, again up your cellphone
Regardless of the way you resolve to maneuver your information, it’s a good suggestion to have a present backup of all your information saved on iCloud, your laptop computer, or every other native / cloud storage. Backing up your cellphone on iCloud Backup might be the simplest. If it’s been some time and also you wish to make sure that backup is switched on in your cellphone’s iCloud settings:
- Faucet on “Settings” > [your name] prime button > “iCloud” > “iCloud Backup.”
- If “iCloud Backup” is switched off, toggle it on. If it’s already toggled on, and also you’re making ready to wipe your outdated iPhone, chances are you’ll wish to faucet “Back Up Now” simply in case.
You too can back up your iPhone to a computer: both to your Mac through the use of your Finder (in case your Mac is utilizing a macOS model earlier than 10.15, you’ll use iTunes) or to a Home windows PC (once more, utilizing iTunes).
Earlier than you begin, there are a pair extra issues it’s worthwhile to do first:
- In case your older cellphone is paired to an Apple Watch, unpair it. (Your information might be moved to the brand new cellphone.)
- Switch your SIM to your new cellphone.
Okay, now that your backup is finished and every little thing else is prepared, let’s transfer your information.
From a direct wi-fi connection
- This phone-to-phone switch is known as Fast Begin, for apparent causes. Begin up your new cellphone. You’ll have the choice to enter your Apple ID; in any other case, you’ll be requested a few preliminary questions (akin to what language you wish to use) and then you definately’ll be invited to switch information from one other cellphone, if you need.
- Put your outdated cellphone close to your new one. Be sure each telephones are plugged in to energy (you don’t need them operating out of battery in the midst of the information transfer).
- When the connection is made, your new iPhone display will show an animation and your outdated cellphone will open its digicam and show a clean circle in the midst of the display. You’ll be requested to carry your new iPhone as much as the digicam of your outdated one in order that the animation is centered within the circle.
- You’ll then be invited to maneuver your consideration to your new cellphone to complete the setup.
- Enter your passcode and Apple ID when requested; you might also be requested whether or not you wish to setup Face ID or Contact ID.
- There might be a number of screens to undergo earlier than the switch begins, together with the same old phrases and situations, whether or not you wish to share your location and your analytics, and whether or not you wish to arrange FaceTime, iMessage, and Siri.
- Additionally, you will get the selection of transferring your information out of your earlier cellphone, or out of your iCloud backup. In case you’ve backed up onto your laptop, you’ll find that beneath “Other Options.”
- When you’ve made all of your decisions, the switch will start.
- Register to your new iPhone once more and also you’re executed!
From a direct wired connection between telephones
One benefit of Apple’s up to date migration characteristic is which you can additionally use a cable to switch the information. In case you’re having any hassle with the wi-fi switch, this could possibly be an excellent various.
For a wired connection, you’ll want a Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter and a Lightning to USB cable. And a phrase of recommendation: make sure that each telephones are totally charged earlier than you begin.
- As with the wi-fi methodology, begin up your new cellphone and undergo the preliminary questions till you get the invite to switch information from one other cellphone.
- As earlier than, put your outdated cellphone close to your new one and ensure each telephones are plugged in.
- Join the Lightning to USB 3 digicam adapter to your outdated cellphone. Join the Lightning to USB cable to your new cellphone. Be a part of the 2 cables collectively utilizing the adapter.
- After that, observe the identical instructions as above, together with utilizing the digicam to seek out the sample and answering all of the setup questions.
- You’ll know that the telephones are utilizing the wired setup as a result of as soon as the switch begins, there might be a small “cable” between the 2 cellphone icons on the display.
From a direct wired reference to a Mac
In case you’ve backed up your iPhone to a Mac, you’ll be able to obtain your information from there to the brand new cellphone.
- Join your cellphone to your laptop utilizing its charging cable.
- Hearth up Finder, and choose your cellphone within the left-hand column.
- You could be requested in case you belief the cellphone, first on the pc after which on the cellphone itself.
- You’ll then be requested if you wish to set your cellphone up as a brand new system or restore it from a earlier backup. Choose the latter.
Whichever methodology you select, take pleasure in your new iPhone!
Replace September fifteenth, 2021, 10:20AM ET: This text was initially revealed on September twentieth, 2019 and has been up to date to account for variations within the OS.