Studying a brand new language on an Android gadget? If the language makes use of a special alphabet or employs accents that your major language doesn’t, you could want so as to add a brand new software program keyboard to your telephone.
Fortunately, Google’s normal Gboard keyboard features a plethora of language-related keyboards; ultimately rely, it supplied over 500 languages over 40 different writing systems. If you happen to’ve already put in Gboard within the US, you’re probably already arrange with US English. But it surely’s not tough so as to add a number of new keyboards and rapidly swap from one language to a different. Right here’s how one can set up and use a number of of the numerous languages accessible. (Be aware: this was tried out utilizing a Pixel 3 telephone and Android 12; your interface could differ.)
First, it’s worthwhile to get to the “Languages” web page.
- A technique is to open an app similar to e-mail or chat and faucet in an space the place you may sort in an effort to carry up the keyboard.
- Faucet on the settings icon (the one that appears like a gear) simply above the keyboard. If you happen to don’t see it, click on on the arrow on the left simply above the keyboard to carry up the toolbar.
- Choose “Languages.”
You can even get to the web page out of your Android gadget’s primary settings menu. From the settings:
- Choose “System.”
- Choose “Languages & input” > “On-screen keyboard” > “Gboard” > “Languages.”
When you’ve reached the “Languages” web page, you may add a brand new language:
- Faucet on “Add keyboard” on the backside of the web page.
- Scroll to the language that you simply need to add and faucet it. (It’s an extended checklist, so that you may save a while by utilizing the search icon on the highest proper of the display.) If you happen to’ve been utilizing a language-learning or different language-related app not too long ago, the one you need could already be on prime beneath “Suggested languages.”
- Relying on the language, you could possibly select from a listing of a number of varieties of keyboards on prime of the display. (For instance, you could possibly go for a QWERTY or Dvorak keyboard, or set handwriting choices.) The more than likely suggestion will probably be first, however you may swipe throughout to see others which might be accessible. On the identical web page, beneath “Language settings,” the “Multilingual typing” possibility permits you to select to be given phrase options from a couple of language whilst you sort. (Whether or not it’s accessible relies on which language you’re including.)
- While you’re completed, faucet the “Done” button. You’ll be introduced again to the “Languages” web page the place you’ll see the brand new language listed. Faucet the left arrow on the prime left nook to depart the web page.
You’ll now see the keyboard’s language named on the area bar. (If you happen to enabled multilingual typing, you’ll see abbreviations of each language names.) As well as, there’ll now be a globe icon to the left of the keyboard as a substitute of the emoji icon. (The emoji icon can now be accessed through an extended press on the comma key.)
To vary keyboards, faucet on the globe; your keyboard will swap to the subsequent in line. You can even lengthy press on the area bar and choose the language you need from the pop-up menu.
If you happen to’re now not utilizing one in every of your languages and also you need to take away it from the checklist:
- Lengthy press the area bar to get the “Change keyboard” menu.
- Faucet on “Language settings.”
Discover the language you now not want, and swipe to the left to take away it.
Replace October 1st, 2021, 4:45PM ET: This text was initially printed on January third, 2020 and has been up to date to permit for updates within the Android OS.