Your iPhone makes use of data out of your cell service, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS to pinpoint its location, and because you virtually at all times have your telephone on you, your location as properly. That data might be helpful for lots of issues, reminiscent of letting others know the place you’re or discovering your telephone when it’s misplaced. Different occasions, it’s simply extra information that companies and firms acquire about you, creating privateness issues.
The excellent news is you’ll be able to tighten your controls in order that apps are solely accessing your location when it’s essential.
Toggling your location settings can differ from telephone to telephone, relying on what mannequin of iPhone you might have and what model of iOS it’s working. The next instructions have been examined on an iPhone 11 working iOS 15; when you’re working a unique model of iOS, there shouldn’t be a lot distinction.
Flip off location entry for particular apps
Location information is beneficial for some apps (for instance, if you wish to order meals) and essential for others, like maps or ride-shares. Nonetheless, if an app asks to your location and also you don’t really feel it wants the info, you’ll be able to disable location companies for that app. Right here’s how to do this.
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Privacy” > “Location Services.”
- “Location Services” will more than likely be switched on. Except you need to fully reduce all location companies off (see beneath), go away it alone
- Scroll all the way down to discover a record of all of the apps that allow location companies. Every itemizing will present the app’s title and the kind of permission it has: “Never,” “When Shared,” or “While Using.” “When Shared” refers back to the possibility “Ask Next Time Or When I Share.” In the meantime, “While Using” will normally imply “While using the App,” however it could generally additionally seek advice from “While Using the App or Widgets.”
- If you wish to change a selected app’s entry to your location information, click on on the app itemizing.
For those who click on “While Using the App,” then that app could have entry to your location both when it’s open or when it’s in use within the background.
For extra methods to restrict location entry, click on on “System Services” on the backside of the “Location Services” display screen. Right here, you’ll be able to toggle location entry for quite a lot of issues, together with Wi-Fi, time zone, emergency calls, and Apple Information and App Retailer adverts which might be related to your location.
To the left of a number of the service toggles, you may even see a small arrow. A hole arrow means the merchandise could have entry to your location underneath sure situations; a purple arrow means the merchandise has lately used your location, whereas a grey arrow means it used your location someday within the final 24 hours.
To examine whether or not your telephone continues to be gathering location information, go all the way down to the very backside of the “System Services” display screen and toggle the change on for “Status Bar Icon.” This can show an arrow on the prime of your display screen when an app in your telephone is accessing your location.
If you wish to actually go off the grid, you’ll be able to disable location companies to stop your telephone from gathering any location information in any respect:
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Privacy” > “Location Services.”
- Toggle the “Location Services” change to off.
- You’ll get a discover telling you that, whereas Location Providers might be disabled for all apps, it should briefly come on-line when you use the “Find My iPhone” and report your telephone misplaced. Choose “Turn Off.”
If in case you have an iPhone 11 or later
If in case you have a telephone designed with Apple’s U1 chip — reminiscent of an iPhone 11 or later — and have disabled location companies for particular apps, it’s possible you’ll discover that you simply nonetheless generally see the arrow. In response to Apple, it is because these fashions use extremely wideband expertise, which Apple says is regulated, so the telephones use location companies to find out in the event that they’re in an space the place extremely wideband use is restricted.
The iPhone requests location information when location preferences are set on an app-per-app foundation, so switching off location companies to your telephone total will cease these location requests since your telephone received’t have the ability to acquire any location information.
Share your location with people
For those who’re strolling alone at night time otherwise you’re in an Uber by your self, you may want a pal or member of the family to know your location in actual time. If in case you have iOS 13 or later, you need to use the Discover My app to share your location with household and pals.
- Open “Settings.”
- Go into “Privacy,” and ensure “Location Services” is switched on.
- Return to the primary “Settings” menu and faucet in your title on the prime.
- Choose “Find My.”
- Toggle “Share My Location” in order that it’s on.
- Then go to the Discover My app. If that is your first time utilizing the app, it should ask you whether or not you need it to entry your location. Select both to “Allow While Using App,” “Allow Once,” or “Don’t Allow.”
- It’s possible you’ll get a display screen explaining that “Find My” can be utilized with an AirTag or for AirPods, and that there are apps for the watchOS as properly.
- On the map display screen that seems, choose “People” on the backside of the display screen.
- Click on the button that claims “Start Sharing Location.”
- Within the “To:” discipline, sort in both the telephone quantity or title of your pal or member of the family.
- If the individual you choose has a telephone quantity that isn’t related to an iPhone, you’ll be notified with a pop-up. (However you’ll be able to nonetheless share your location.)
- Faucet “Send,” then choose both “Share for One Hour,” “Share Until End of Day,” or “Share Indefinitely.”
It should then begin sharing your location. In an effort to change it off, click on in your contact’s title within the “Find My” app underneath “People,” then faucet “Stop Sharing My Location.” Verify by clicking on the “Stop Sharing Location” button that pops up.
Ship recurring notifications
You’ll be able to have your telephone ship out recurring notifications as properly. These are helpful if you need your pal or relative to know when a you get to a location (or don’t get there).
- Within the “Find My” app, faucet the “People” tab on the backside of the display screen.
- Choose the individual you need to ship notifications to (it ought to be someone you’re already sharing your location with).
- Scroll down till you see “Notifications” and tab “Add.”
- A pop-up from the underside gives you the choice to inform that individual. Choose it.
You’ll be able to notify the individual whenever you arrive at or go away a selected location, and ship the notification simply as soon as or each time you arrive or go away (for instance, if you wish to let someone know on daily basis whenever you get residence from work).
Share by way of Messages
You’ll be able to share your location via Messages as properly:
- Open a dialog in Messages.
- Faucet on the contact title after which click on “Info.”
- This gives you the choice to “Share My Location,” which gives you the choice to “Share for One Hour,” “Share Until End of Day,” or “Share Indefinitely.” Click on a kind of to begin sharing.
- If you wish to cease sharing, click on “Stop Sharing My Location” the place “Share My Location” was. A button labeled “Stop Sharing My Location” will pop up. Click on on that.
Replace September seventeenth, 2021, 10:15AM ET: This text was initially revealed on December twelfth, 2019, and has been up to date to account for variations in iOS and in accessible companies.