Whether or not you’re buying and selling in your outdated iPhone for a reduction on a brand new one, promoting it, giving it away, or recycling it, you’re going to wish to erase your entire information first. Not solely do you wish to hold private info from falling into the mistaken palms, however let’s face it: no one’s going to desire a telephone along with your outdated selfies on it.
After you’ve transferred your entire information to a brand new telephone (or, in the event you’re not getting a brand new telephone, backed your information up), right here’s how one can wipe your iPhone:
Do away with just a few identifiable options
- Disable “Find My iPhone” by going to “Settings” > “Find My” > “Find My Phone” and toggling “Find My Phone” and “Find My Network” to off.
- Unpair any units out of your telephone, together with your Apple Watch.
- Toggle iMessages off (simply in case).
Signal out of your Apple ID
- Choose “Settings” > [your name] prime button > “Sign Out” (on the backside of the web page).
- Enter your Apple ID password.
- You’ll be requested if you wish to make a copy of your information on this iPhone. Assuming you’ve backed every little thing up and are about to wipe your telephone, you don’t have to toggle something on.
- Faucet on “Sign Out” within the upper-right nook after which once more on the “Are you sure?” pop-up window.
Get able to erase it
- Take away the SIM card from the telephone.
- Go into “Settings” > “General” > “Transfer or Reset iPhone” and choose “Erase All Content and Settings.”
Replace September fifteenth, 2021, 3PM ET: This text was initially printed on April thirteenth, 2020, and has been up to date so as to add extra data and account for adjustments within the OS.