Now that OnePlus is a sub-brand of the Oppo household, the 2 corporations not solely merged their R&D departments in early 2021, however they’re additionally consolidating code for his or her two Android-based working programs. Whereas OxygenOS 12 might be used on world OnePlus telephones, ColorOS 12 will solely be on China-only Oppo and OnePlus telephones.
Alongside the discharge of Android 12 to AOSP at present, OnePlus is releasing the primary open beta of OxygenOS 12 to the OnePlus 9 and OnePlus 9 Professional now, whereas these with older fashions must look ahead to a later replace. As soon as this model is deemed secure, it’s doubtless a full model might be launched inside a month, in accordance with XDA Builders.
The brand new and improved OxygenOS 12 is colourful and minimalist like “James Turrell’s Light and Space artwork,” as defined in its forum post asserting this launch. OxygenOS 12 shares a few of the identical design languages as ColorOS 12 and Android 12 by extension. All three OSes make liberal use of white house, in addition to massive sans-serif typography to “enhance readability and ease of use.”
OxygenOS 12 additionally follows the Materials You aesthetic, the place the brand new icons use easy traces, and new widgets use shapes to make data and actions extra clear and accessible to a various group of customers. Similar to ColorOS 12, the OnePlus software program is enhanced with extra shadows and delicate gradients to provide OxygenOS 12 a extra premium look.
Along with its new look, OxgyenOS 12 additionally realized some new methods to enhance your expertise with OnePlus telephones. If you happen to’ve been enjoying with the developer preview of Android 12 on the OnePlus 9 sequence, you’ll be blissful to know these options have made it into the open beta of OxygenOS 12:
- Non-public Protected: This characteristic isolates delicate recordsdata to a secured a part of your telephone, the place you possibly can safely retailer and shield particular pictures, movies, audios, and paperwork.
- Up to date OnePlus Shelf & OnePlus Scout: The helpful Shelf has been enhanced with much more widgets: from notes, step counting, climate, to the calculator, in accordance with XDA Developers. You possibly can even seek for something in your telephone utilizing OnePlus Scout, which is now a part of the Shelf.
- Zen Mode & World Life Steadiness 2.0: First popularized by OnePlus’ Indian customers, each modes show you how to handle work-life steadiness by separating your private and work accounts. You possibly can arrange completely different profiles with completely different Wi-Fi networks, with completely different app notifications and messages relying on the time of day.
- Darkish Mode: This allows you to select between three ranges of darkish mode.
- Notice app: This up to date app now helps you to doodle in addition to kind out your ideas.
- Canvas AOD 2.0: The app lets that you just create a wireframe picture in your lockscreen, based mostly in your wallpaper, is again with extra performance. It now contains extra brushes and contours so that you can use, in addition to extra pictures and results out there to help your creative imaginative and prescient.
It’s potential that that is the tip of the highway for OxygenOS, as the 2 corporations may extra absolutely combine their software program into one, slightly than keep two OSes. If that’s the case, OnePlus will hopefully be capable to convey a few of its hottest options just like the Canvas AOD 2.0 and Work Life Steadiness 2.0 mode to future ColorOS updates.
In case you have a OnePlus 9 or 9 Professional and need to check out this open beta of OxygenOS 12, then head to OnePlus’ Updates and Downloads web page to obtain it onto your pc, and comply with the directions to put in the software program onto your OnePlus telephone.